Sunday, October 20, 2013

2014 N. Ohio SCBWI Calendar Contest

If you hadn't noticed, I'm still playing a bit of catch up around this blog after my trip to Disney and a busy Tax Season 2 at my office.  And one thing I didn't get to show you was...


My entry for the 2014 Northern Ohio SCBWI Calendar Contest!

This is the third time I've taken part in the lovely calendar contest that Northern Ohio SCBWI  holds in conjunction with their annual conference.  (And it was a wonderful conference this year!) 

This year's theme was, "Recharge, Reconnect, Renew."  When I considered those words, I immediately thought of how it feels to wake up after a good, long nap.  And who is the best napper in the animal kingdom?  Bears, of course!  This little fellow is waking up to find the winter snow melting away and spring flowers blooming at his paws. 

I always learn so much while creating my calendar entry each year.  I used this opportunity to experiment more with textures, draw a new animal, and practice painting fur.  This also forced me to tackle my least favorite subject matter: ROCKS!  (Not gonna lie.  Painting rocks always makes me feel like this...)


But despite all the rocks, this illustration was a lot of fun to paint.  It's always so encouraging to see how I've grown as a digital artist from year to year, too.  (You can see my entries from the prior two contests here and here.)

I am very thrilled to report that my piece was voted into the 2014 calendar!  There were so many beautiful entries this year, and I'm honored that my piece was chosen for the final calendar.  This year, my piece will be featured in the month of February.  (My past two pieces were both featured in July for the 2012 and 2013 calendars, so it's fun to be part of a different season!)  You can see all the winning pieces on the Northern Ohio SCBWI website.  Order forms are also available online.  (It's a great way to support a fantastic organization!)  

I can't wait to see everyone's illustrations printed in the calendar!  2014 is just around the corner!  :)

Note: Indiana Jones and rock images are not owned by me.  The images were found on Google, and I just put them together for a goofy little meme.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment