Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Mid-Year Evaluation


Goodness, it's already June!  I've said it before and I'll say it again: Where does the time go?!

At this half-way point in the year, it's a good time to take out that list of resolutions we made at the start of 2012 and see how we're coming along.  If you're like me, you've probably fallen a little behind...

 Original 2012 Resolutions (as seen here)

Writing:
~complete another round of revisions on Beast of Bannock manuscript Nope
~finish first draft of "Project Pirate Ferret"  Negative
~send out more query letters (blegh)  Nada
~catch up (and keep up) with SCBWI bulletins Yes!
~continue this delightful blog  :)  Another success!  Woohoo!
~uncover the One Big Secret to publishing success  ;)  Not so much

Art:
~illustrate one full digital picture a month Half success?
~practice drawing humans (NOT my forte) Zippo
~learn how to digitally paint fur and grass (again, NOT my forte)  Sort of...
~complete another month or two of the exercise "30 ____ in 30 Days" Ha!
~join an online art network  YES!
~feel confident enough to throw my hat into the illustrator ring Erm, getting there...

Pertaining to Health and/or Sanity Well-Being:
~play video games once a week Um, at least a handful of times this year...
~take dog for walk twice a week (*does not apply in snow) Sorry puppy...
~watch all movies that are still in plastic wrap Unwrap them, yes; watch them, no.
~try one new recipe per month Affirmative!
~strive to be in bed before midnight Ongoing struggle
~spend more quality time with my hubby and furry family Much better
~figure out how to clone self  Alas...

In retrospect, this list looks pretty grim.  But really, I've taken steps towards ultimately achieving many of these things--I'm just not quite there yet.  That's okay, though, because there are still 6 months left in 2012!

That being said, I do believe it's time to reevaluate some of these goals, and thus I propose...

Revised 2012 Resolutions! 

Writing:
~complete another round of revisions on Beast of Bannock manuscript
      -Just keep swimming...
~finish first draft of Pirate Ferret
      -Just keep swimming...
~send out more query letters (blegh)
      -See above.  (I can't put the cart before the horse, now can I?)
~keep up with SCBWI bulletins 
      -So far so good!
~continue this delightful blog  :) 
      -Well duh!
~uncover the One Big Secret to publishing success
      -Hey, I can dream, can't I?  ;) 

Art:
~just have SOMETHING artistic to show for each month
      -Baby steps  :)
~draw one human--just ONE
      -I can do ONE by December 31st! I swear!
~experiment with digital painting tools and techniques
      -I'll learn how to paint fur and grass AFTER I figure out what all those brushes do
~complete another month or two of the exercise "30 ____ in 30 Days"
      -I think the above 3 goals are plenty
~keep up with online art network
      -That deviantArt inbox is already getting full!
~feel confident enough to throw my hat into the illustrator ring
      -Maybe by the end of the year...

Pertaining to Health and/or Sanity Well-Being:
~play video games once a week
      -This may sound stupid to you, but it's important to me
~take dog for walk twice a week
      -It's summer.  No excuses.
~watch just 6 movies that are still in plastic wrap
      -That's only one per month!
~try one new recipe per month
      -Piece of cake! (And cake recipes count!)
~strive to be in bed before midnight 
      -Ain't gonna happen. Why stress about it?
~spend more quality time with my hubby and furry family
      -Always room for improvement!
~pay someone else to figure out how to clone me 
      -Like I have time to discover that!

Although it's a little discouraging to revise some things and strike others completely from my list, it's important to reevaluate priorities.  Then, you can refocus your energy where it really matters (like completing novel drafts and revisions!)  Plus, there's no point keeping something unattainable on the list that's going to massively stress you out.  You can always try again next year!  :)

All right second half of 2012: prepare to be conquered!

Note: Image is from Microsoft Clipart

No comments:

Post a Comment