Saturday, September 26, 2015

Illustrating News

My last blog post went over the bulk of what I've been up to for the past several months.  I didn't mention one big project, though: my entry for the 2016 Northern Ohio SCBWI Calendar Contest!

Each year at the annual Northern Ohio SCBWI Conference, the chapter hosts a Calendar Contest for illustrators.  (In fact, I created my very first Photoshop illustration for the contest back in 2011.) 

I'm very happy to report that I finished my illustration on time, and it was voted into the 2016 calendar!


This is definitely one of my favorite illustrations that I've worked on.  Although it took me quite a long time to finish with my bum shoulder, I wanted to tackle a full illustration in the lineless-style.  I couldn't resist drawing animals, but took this opportunity to practice painting humans, too.  (My hubby was a big help with this and let me know that the poor farmer had two left hands at one point.  D'oh!)

I'm so thrilled that my piece was chosen for the 2016 calendar.  (And I truly can't believe that this is the fifth year in a row my piece has made it into the calendar!)  The contest entries were all amazing, and competition gets stiffer every year.  I hope you'll check out the other winners on the Northern Ohio SCBWI website: http://ohionorth.scbwi.org.

In other news, I'd like to take this opportunity to announce that I have taken on the role of Illustrator Coordinator for Central and Southern Ohio SCBWI.  I'm very honored that my chapter's Board thought I would do well in this new role.  I still have much to learn about illustrating and publishing, but I'm excited to expand our programming and offerings for illustrators.  Don't think that means I've given up on writing, though!  I'm equally dedicated to both creative endeavors and very much hope to become a published author-illustrator someday.

That's all my big news for now!  With another conference just around the corner, it's time to get back to the grindstone on my writing and illustrating projects.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment